Monday, January 7, 2008

Mr DS in all his glory!

Well here's what I came up with using the Mr Dick-sticker stamp! It was very challenging to come up with something decent and original, but I'm pretty happy with all of them!


I'll go through them one by one so you can get a closer look, and I'll list the materials too in case anyone is interested.

Hello Sweetie!



This is just a funny little gift card I made. I suppose you could use it for a Valentines Day card or just a card to give someone a giggle!

Materials:
Bazzill cardstock (Maraschino and Bitter Chocolate), Basic Grey Paper (from Blush range), Manila folder, Jet Black Archival Ink, Chatterbox Ribbon, Black ZIG Writer, Tim Holtz Distress Ink - "Walnut Stain", Crafty Secrets clear stamps from "Coffee & Tea" set.

G'Day from Downunder!



What kind of Aussie would I be if I didn't make some sort of "Down under" joke with this stamp?!! A bloke in speedos just screams "Australia" so I couldn't resist the urge to turn Mr DS into a bronzed Aussie - complete with Southern Cross speedos!!



Don't look too closely - you'll see some white embossing powder that went astray! You see, I originally had him in White speedos, but he looked as if he was wearing a nappy and it freaked me out, so I changed them to yellow! LOL!

Materials:
Bazzill cardstock (Maraschino, Bitter Chocolate, Lemonade), American crafts paper, Basic Grey letter stickers, EK Success Bookworks mini letter stickers, Black ZIG Writer, "Celebrations of Australia" embossing powder, Tim Holtz Distress Ink - "Walnut Stain".

God of Inspiration!

I'm a Card maker and Scrapbooker normally, so I thought I'd try my hand at a little Mixed-Media artwork for something different!



When I look at Mr DS, he reminds me of an Adonis, or even a more modest version of Michelangelo's "David". So I wanted to create some sort of God-like angelic type figure - so I came up with the idea for the God of Inspiration! (I had originally planned to use the word "Muse" instead of "god", but the Muses were women, so it just wasn't right! LOL!). Does anyone recognise the face??! LOL! I thought about who I held in the highest of regards and just had fun with it! Yep, you guessed it! That's none other than Mr Tim Holtz!
What better way to pay homage to the King of Papercrafts, (my personal God of Inspiration)! LMAO! I hope he likes it and that it doesn't freak him out too much! LOL! It's all in good fun! Tim, if you're out there - I'm sorry! LOL!

I got Tim's face from the packaging of one of the Paint Dabber Cases that I got for Christmas. INTERESTING FACT!: That photo was actually taken by none other than Rachel Greig! (The owner of Mr DS!).

Here's a close up so you can see the depth.



Materials:
4"x4" Jasart Canvas, Tim Holtz Distress Crackle Paint - "Peeled Paint", Tim Holtz Distress Ink - "Walnut Stain", Paper Trunk paper (for wings), Heidi Swapp Clear Stamps - Wings, American Crafts paper (for Mr DS), Jet Black Archival Ink, MM metal alphas, unknown metal letters, screw brads, Tim Holtz Grungeboard elements (crown and nameplate), Celebrations of Australia embossing powder, Kaisercraft bling jewels, EK Sucess Bookworks mini alpha stickers, VersaMagic Jumbo Java ink, double sided foam mounting tape.

Well, that's it from me! I hope you have enjoyed my creations! I had a lot of fun experimenting and am stoked that I got the opportunity to do so!

Please leave a comment to let me know what you think! I read them all and would love to hear from everyone who comes here to check out Mr DS, so post a comment even if it is just to say Hi and let me know where you are from!

And don't forget to come back again! I have more exciting stuff on the way!

Until next time....
~Sarah~

20 comments:

Rachel Greig said...

Oh my Sarah, you have me in tears laughing! These are FAB - and I'm SURE Tim will love his homage!

Great stuff - Thanks for playing with Mr DS, glad you enjoyed it :):) LOL

angel321 said...

Sarah, that is hilarious!!! What a fantastic job you did with Mr DS.

Jayne Mercer said...

Fantastic work Sarah, I love all of them. Can't wait for him to arrive at my place!

Wendy said...

GREAT Tim spoof!!! What a hoot!
I'm Rachel's friend & I live in Illinois...the USA!
Wendy

Papercraft Studio said...

Wow Sarah. You've got my brain ticking for what I'll do with him when he gets here! Great Work
Sarah Gibson

Robin Beam said...

Sarah: These are the best...I think you've got a new career-how many different ways can you use this stamp? Can I link you to my blog? I know the American ladies would enjoy!

Inky Hugs, Robin

SANDIE said...

what fun-tastic cards love the speedos there great

tim holtz said...

incredibly creative and funny too! thanks for the laugh, and nice comments too sarah - i appreciate your artistic style!
-tim holtz

Renee Culpan said...

Very cool Sarah, you did a great job with the stamp!! I looked at it and thought what would you do with that!!But you have made some fantastic pieces!!

Gretz said...

These are very very good Sarah, and very very humourous ;-)

Kerryn said...

You have done a fantastic job with him Sarah, well done!!!

karen said...

you have done a great job with that stamp they look great
my favorite is the 3 in speedos very good.

karen

karen said...

looks great love the 3 speedo one

karen

Karen said...

Fabulous creations! And I'm sure that Tim will appreciate your nod to his inspirational qualities. :-)

Kriss said...

These are so much fun! Thanks for the giggles!

Debby said...

These are awesome! You are very creative.

Karen L. said...

Just follwed the link to your blog from Pearlesq and HAD to chime in with praise and much laughter over your treatment of the Mr. DS stamp! Now I'm going to have to follow this guy's travels to see what else everyone comes up with!

Sue McGettigan said...

Very cool treatment of Mr. DS - love the multicolored speedos and the hilarious Tim Holtz 'God of Inspiration' - how appropriate :)

LindyLoudy said...

Sarah - what a kack!! what would be good to follow up Mr DS would be "Mr BS" - a slightly more rotund version of Mr DS called "Mr Budgie Smuggler"

Lisa T said...

LOL!! Looks like you had a lot of fun with Mr. DS. I recognized Tim right away!