Monday, June 30, 2008

Grunge Challenge!

Well I finally got around to doing Renee C's technique challenge for June! This month the task was to create a grunge layout - and not to hold back!

I had heaps of fun creating this heritage grunge layout! I even went so far as to listen to grunge music when I was creating - and I think it helped! LOL! (Linkin Park's "Hybrid Theory" album for anyone who's interested!).

I have used:

* Kaisercraft patterned paper (grunge range).
* Grungeboard letters.
* TH Distress Embossing powder (walnut stain).
* TH Distress Inks - Walnut stain, Vintage Photo, Old Paper.
* TH Crackle paint - Peeled Paint.
* Printblocks screw brads
* Black ink, staples bazzill cardstock.

I crumpled one of the background papers, then went over the creases with Versamark ink and embossed with Tim Holtz Distress embossing powder - Walnut Stain. This gave the paper a great grungy look with a fabulous rough sandpaper like texture.

You can see it here in this close up (click to enlarge):

I distressed the edges of the same piece of paper with my edge distresser tool, ripping the paper in random places. Where rips occurred I used staples to add interest and keep with the distressed theme. You can also see in this photo that I have used my Tim Holtz Texture Hammer to beat up the screw brads to give them a worn look. I have also distressed the edges of the photo mats, and scratched around the edges of my photos and inked them with Vintage Photo Distress Ink.

Here's another close up of some more grungey goodness (click to enlarge):

I coated the Grungeboard letters with TH Distress Crackle Paint (Peeled Paint colour), then highlighted the cracks by rubbing Vintage Photo and Walnut Stain Distress inks into each letter. I used a grunge font for the journaling, and aged the paper using "Old Paper" and "Vintage Photo" distress inks.

I just love these photos of my dad and my uncle when they were kids! I have wanted to scrap them for so long, and I'm glad I got to use them for this challenge as I think they go great with the theme!

Thanks for looking!

~Sarah~

2 comments:

Chloe said...

Card-maker, ATC-maker, scrapper... you're good at everything Sarah!!!

Just popping by to let you know that you have been 'tagged'! Pop by my blog to find out the details.

Kwik-Kliks, Kim's Scrapbooking said...

This is a gorgeous layout Sarah!