Saturday, July 5, 2008

Everything Old Is New Again!

This is the layout that I created for the "Everything Old Is New Again" newsletter challenge for Scrapbook Savvy.

Each month, one of the DT girls has to create a layout using something old from their stash! July was my month, and I chose to use metal embellishments!

I have used:

* Dream Street patterned papers.
* Heidi Swapp Ghost letters.
* Alcohol Ink (Stream).
* MM round metal letters.
* Delish Designs rub-ons.
* Metal photo corners.
* Metal frame.
* Gesso.
* Lace.
* "Jumbo Java" versamark ink.


When I first started scrapbooking, metal embellishments (particularly by "Making Memories" were very popular, and I loved them! I bought heaps of different kinds - most of which are still sitting in my drawer! My friend and fellow DT mate Julie Heard suggested I go for a shabby chic look by applying white paint on them - so that's what I did! Thanks Julie! :)

Here is a close up of the different embellishments I used:

The letters and the hands are both from Making Memories, and the frame and photo corners were from a discount store.

I applied Gesso (you can also use white paint) to each piece, then sanded, scratched, and wiped away the excess until I got the look I wanted.

Why don't you get out your metal embellishments and give this technique a go! We'd love to see your creations in the Scrapbook Savvy gallery!

Sign up to the Scrapbook Savvy Newsletter to be the first to hear about store news, specials, and all the latest DT inspiration!

~Sarah~

8 comments:

Kathi said...

The metal looks great on that wonderful layout.

That's an amazing idea for challenges. Gosh knows that I have enough old stuff in my stash.

Nic said...

What a gorgeous layout... I just love it!

Sami said...

This is a beautiful layout Sarah!! I have to pull out some of my metal and paint it white! Such a lovely look for shabby chic baby pages!

Cathrine StClair said...

This is a beautiful layout. Great job with the metal embellishments - I have a hard time with those.

KerrynF said...

Beautiful work Sarah, you have captured the era perfectly.

PS Your tagged!!

KerrynF said...

Sorry Sarah, disregard the tag!!

Wendy said...

WOW love you old is new LO..the shabby chic looks great

LindyLoudy said...

Again, another perfect subject!!