Thursday, July 15, 2010

Gothic Arches.

I was always a fan of the Gothic Arches challenge blog that was on Wordpress - I just loved seeing the gorgeous little mixed media collage artworks that people were creating with different Gothic Arch shapes. That blog eventually ceased and turned into a Ning group, and then came back to Blogger! (At least I think it's the same one - correct me of I'm wrong!). The Gothic Arches Challenge Blog is run by the awesomely talented (and super nice!) Nancy Maxwell James, and she has recently released a free downloadable Gothic Arch eBook, featuring lots of fabulous arches from herself and other artists. Check it out here.

So why am I telling you all of this? Well, I was always so fascinated and inspired by these arches, but had never given one a go. I knew I mustn't be the only one, and I thought the stampers over at my challenge blog, Inkurable Stampers, would like to have a go too! So began the Inkurable Stampers 2010 Gothic Arch Challenge! It's a year long challenge for 2010 only that runs alongside our regular monthly challenges at Inkurable, and you upload your creations to our dedicated Flickr Group. There is a new theme every fortnight until the end of the year, and at the end you'll have a collection of 24 Gothic Arches to do with what you will! I'll be making mine into a book, some people are making ATC's - the choice is yours! It's never to late to join the challenge, and everyone is welcome! You can use any medium you like, as long as you use at least one stamp. Check out the details here.

We've had 12 themes so far, with another 2 due this Sunday (I'm a bit behind!). So as not to bombard you with all 12 at once, today I'll share the first 3! :)

Challenge #1 - Butterflies.

I kicked off with an easy theme to get things started. Here is my first ever Gothic Arch:


I have used the following Darkroom Door stamp sets: Butterflies, Little Dreams, Wildflower, Floral Background Stamp.

To create the background, I stamped the Floral Background stamp onto white cardstock with Broken China Distress Ink, and embossed it with clear embossing powder. I then inked over it with Peeled Paint Distress Ink, then wiped over with a baby wipe to remove the distress ink from the embossed parts.

I stamped the lady from the Little Dreams stamp set with black ink and embossed with black embossing powder. Her wings are made from the large Butterfly from the Butterflies stamp set. I stamped and embossed in black, then coloured with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink.

Her hat is a triangle cut from the background of the lady stamp that was removed when I cut her out. It has also been coloured with Worn Lipstick Distress Ink.

The black butterflies and wildflower stems were stamped straight onto the background using Stazon Ink. The white butterflies were stamped onto white cardstock with black ink, cut out, and adhered to the background. Some Kaisercraft Rhinestones were added to their bodies.

Challenge #2 - Lace.



I have used:

* Darkroom Door Roses Photo Stamp.
* "Dream" stamp and Lace stamp from Darkroom Door "Little Dreams" set.
* Lil Davis stamp from "Crillon 2" set.
* Lace, silver brads, silver star brad.
* Vintage Photo.
* Pink Collage Press scrapbook paper.
* Red Stazon ink, Pinecone Versacolor Ink, Black Stazon, White Brilliance Ink.

First I cut my arch shape out of the pink paper and stamped the Roses Photo Stamp with Red Stazon ink. I inked around the edges with Pinecone ink. I then stamped the Lil' Davis stamp onto the same pink paper using Black Stazon, and cut out. I swiped Moonlight White Brilliance ink over the top of it to give it a softer look. then I attached it to the arch.

Next I adhered the lace across the bottom of my arch, and attached 3 silver brads. I then adhered the vintage image onto the arch and stamped the Darkroom Door lace tamp with Black Stazon. I stamped "Dream" onto white paper, cut out, and then mounted it to the arch using double sided foam mounting tape.
Challenge #3 - Crowns.



The text background stamp and the fairy stamp are from Stampotique, and the tree branches and flying birds are Tim Holtz stamps.

I coloured the background using Aged Mahogany and Black Soot Distress Inks on a craft mat, and stamped the 3 stamps in Jet Black Stazon Ink.

I stamped the fairy onto white cardstock with Blazing Red Stazon (which I think is more pink than red, but hey, that's just me) and then outlined the details with a black Sharpie. I used Rock Candy Distress Stickles on her wings, and her crown is a Scrapware chipboard crown that I coloured with a silver Krylon pen. She was mounted to the arch using double sided foam mounting tape. Here is a close up:


The fence is Scrapware chipboard which I inked with Black Soot Distress Ink. I added some black German Scrap Border to the bottom of the fence for some added depth and detail.

The words were done on my computer, printed out, and then adhered to the arch. I then outlined each word with black pen.

I'll be back tomorrow to share some more with you!

Thanks for hanging in there on such a long post! LOL! :)

~Sarah~

1 comment:

Samantha Marshall said...

Hi Sarah-you have totally inspired me!!! I love these gothic arches. I just love your gorgeous blog.x