Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Mail Art!

The theme over at The Three Muses this week is Mail Art, and I thought it would be a good excuse to show off the mail art I have been creating lately!

Last week I sent off some ATC's to Belgium (to Aisling (aka Julie) who sent me the most awesome ones in return!) so I thought I'd decorate the envelope as a surprise! Silly me forgot to take a photo of it before I sent it off, but Julie took some when it arrived and has kindly let me use her photos here! So here is the front of the envelope:


First I stamped a journaling spot from the Darkroom Door Journal stamp set onto the envelope with Chipped Sapphire Distress Ink. I then inked over the whole envelope with 'Peeled Paint', 'Broken China', and 'Worn Lipstick' Distress Inks, before stamping in black ink. The colours are a bit off in the photo, but it looked very vibrant and colourful in real life!

Here is the back:


The flourish is a Tim Holtz stamp, the butterfly is from the Darkroom Door Butterflies stamp set, and I also used stamps from the Darkroom Door Mail Art stamp set.

Creating mail art is so much fun - but it's even more fun receiving it! I love the look of it after it's been through the post - with the postage stamps, and postal markings, and the slightly crumpled look. I have received a few lovely mail art items, and I will treasure them always!

Speaking of mail art, I held a mail art challenge at Inkurable Stampers in May, so if you're into Mail Art, check out all the entries for that month in the slideshow here.

I also created some Mail Art as my Creative Team projects for Darkroom Door that were showed on their blog in May:

Urban Lily Secret Keeper Card Mail Art:


You can see lots of photos and full instructions on how I created this piece on the Darkroom Door Blog here.

Red Letter Mail Art:


You can see lots of photos and full instructions on how I created these envelopes on the Darkroom Door Blog here.

As you can see, lots of masking and collage stamping there - so much fun!

So - do you create mail art? Have you ever received any? Are you inspired to give it a go? Let me know in the comments section - I love hearing from you all! :)

Thanks for looking!

~Sarah~

13 comments:

Sandy said...

Oh wow incredible mail art.
Fantastic design.

Junibears said...

I love your work! Beautiful mail artxx

Nancy Maxwell James said...

oh how fun! I wonder what the postman thinks when he sees such beautiful art...or if they ever are tempted to keep the envie? Gorgeous work and what thrill to recieve! Have a wonderful Wednesday!

indybev said...

Beautiful mail art, Sarah. It is such fun to do, and even more fun to receive. Thanks also for sharing the link to more mail art. We're glad you joined our challenge this week!!

Tammara said...

What gorgeous envelopes! I especially like the red ones, very eye-catching.

Karen said...

I just popped over to have a peep at your Stampotique challenge card but just couldn't resist looking at your blog too! You have some wonderful work on here my lovely X

Janine said...

I would love to had this lovely envelopes in my mail.

Taluula said...

Your mail art is beautiful and unique and I can only imagine how thrilled Julie was to receive this little treasure. Thank you so much for joining in this week and sharing your lovely work.

By the way I love your blogwear, it's gorgeous.

Lori Saul said...

All kinds of beautiful mail art here- I love your work and glad to have found your blog!

http://truutske.blogspot.com/ said...

Love your wonderful mail-art enveloppe's.

Jackie said...

I love all of your pieces, Sarah, so different but each gorgeous in its own way.

Hermine said...

Gorgeous envelope

Ozstuff said...

Hello to Sarah from a fellow Aussie - Marie (Ozstuff) Perth WA.
Your mail art is superb. I love your envelopes which must be such a joy for those who receive them. Thanks so much for taking part in the challenge this week. Hope to see you back again!