Monday, February 14, 2011

Happy Valentine's Day!

Valentine's Day is not usually a day that my husband and I go crazy over any more - but we usually give each other a card to show how much we care.

I made these cards for the Darkroom Door blog:


I went with a simple colour combo - red, black, and kraft, with a touch of pewter - and came up with 2 cards - one quite simple and a little girly, and one more edgy and masculine.

Here's the simple girly one:


I inked up the wildflower stamp (from the Darkroom Door Wildflowers Vol 2 stamp set) with black ink, and then used a baby wipe to remove the ink from the flowers, leaving just the stems and leaves with ink. I then stamped it onto the Kraft cardstock. I punched 3 hearts out of bazzill cardstock, and glued them to the top of the stems.


I stamped "Happy Valentine's Day" (from the All Occasions stamp set) with TH Embossing Ink and embossed it with Pewter embossing powder.

I inked around the edge of the kraft cardstock with black ink and adhered it to a red bazzill cardstock base.
Here is the other card:


First I stamped the Criss Cross background stamp onto the Kraft cardstock with embossing ink, and embossed with Pewter embossing powder. I then inked around the edge with black ink.

I then cut a heart out of chipboard (I used a grungeboard negative shape as a template) and inked it all over with embossing ink and embossed with red embossing powder. While it was still hot, I stamped "I Love You" over the top of it with silver ink. I then inked around the edges with black ink.


I glued the heart to the bottom right hand corner of the background, and added some staples to the sides.

I tore out a piece of the background at the top left hand corner, inked the edges with black ink, and adhered a piece of red cardstock behind the tear. I then added staples to each side of the tear.

Lastly, I added some screw brads to the corners, and adhered the background to the red bazzill base card.

This is the one I ended up giving to my hubby and he loved it!

So whilst I had all these products out on my craft desk, I whipped up a bookmark to use as my example for this month's Bookmarks challenge over at Inkurable Stampers:


The base is black bazzill cardstock. The background is kraft cardstock. I stamped the Darkroom Door Criss Cross Background Stamp onto the bottom with Barn Door Distress Ink, and then ruled a black line above it with a Sharpie.

I then stamped that spooky little guy (from Stampotique) at the top of the bookmark, and the quote over the criss cross background, both in black ink. I inked around the edges with black before adhering it to the black bazzill base. I punched a hole through the top with my Cropadile, and threaded some red satin ribbon through to finish.

Super easy! 

If you feel up for a challenge, pop over to Inkurable Stampers and give this month's bookmark challenge a go. :)

~Sarah~

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

My Grungeboard Party Hat!

First let me say thanks so much for all the comments and emails re: my classes for this year! I really appreciate all your lovely words. :) It's great to know I have such awesome support out there!

2011 is continuing to be an awesome year! I celebrated my birthday the other day, and the theme for my birthday was to wear black, and because it was also my Golden Birthday (where you turn the same age as the day of the month you were born) I asked everyone to accessorise with something Gold - like a hat, mask, medallion etc etc. It was such an awesome night, and everyone really got into the spirit with their outfits! I even had black and gold balloons, tableware, and cake! It was my best birthday ever!

Anyway, my golden accessory was a mini-top hat that I made out of Grungeboard. I got lots of comments about it on the night, so I thought I'd share it here for those who wanted to know more about it! So here's a pic of me wearing it:


I'd seen an AWESOME Steampunk style wedding here where the bride wore a mini top hat, and I knew I wanted something similar. So I got to googling and found heaps and heaps of tutorials and inspiration!

My particular hat was inspired by a Steampunk leather hat that I saw here by Tom Banwell - I used the template printed out on an A4 piece of paper and cut out the pieces from Grungeboard!

Here's a closer pic, modelled by my darling daughter:


I painted the plain Grungeboard with Gold Metallic acrylic paint, and then cut the pieces out and inked around the edges with black ink. I used black eyelets down each side of the seams, and tied them up with leather thonging. Here's a close up:


I picked up the lace from Lincraft, and adhered it with double sided tape around the base of the hat.


Because the Grungeboard is very thick, and the metallic paint very smooth, normal glues and even hot glue just wouldn't stick it all together, so I had to use Loctite (super glue). Worked a charm!

To keep it on my head, I glued it to a cheap satin headband that I got at Hot Dollar:


Because of the thickness of the Grungeboard, I couldn't sew the top together like Tom's hat, so instead I glued the top on and hid the seam with some more leather thonging.

It took forever to do, and turned out more Burlesque than Steampunk, but it looked pretty cool on the night!!

Let me know what you think!

~Sarah~